University at Buffalo (SUNY)
Dept. of Comp. Sci. and Eng.
- Algorithms (including Approximation Algorithms)
- Computational Geometry
- Combinatorial Optimization
- Machine Learning and Computer Vision
- Geometric Computing and Optimization in
- Medical Imaging, Treatment Planning, and Diagnosis
- Networking and Mobile Computing
- 3D Printing
- VLSI Design
Some Recent Research Projects
- Novel Geometric Techniques for Several Biomedical Problems, NSF, CCF-1716400, Role: PI, 2017-2020
- EAGER:Cybermanufacturing: Software/Hardware Combined Acceleration for 3D Printing in Mass Customization, NSF, CNS-1547167, Role: Co-PI (PI: Wenyao Xu and Co-PI: Chi Zhou), 2015-2017
- Virtual Intervention of Intracranial Aneurysms, NIH, 1R01NS091075, Role: co-PI (PI: Hui Meng), 2015-2020
- Algorithmic Techniques for Several Geometric Problems Arising in Biomedical Imaging Applications, NSF, CCF-1422324, Role: PI, 2014-2017
- Algorithmic Techniques for Determining Alterations in the Patterns of Chromosome Spatial Organization inside the Cell Nucleus, NSF, IIS-1422591, Role: PI (co-PI: Ronald Berezney), 2014-2017
- Algorithmic Tools for Spatial Positioning Studies in the Cell Nucleus, NSF, IIS-1115220, Role: PI (co-PI: Ronald Berezney), 2011-2015
- Algorithmic Tools for Determining the Organization and Dynamics of the Cell Nucleus, NSF, IIS-0713489, Role: PI (co-PI: Ronald Berezney), 2007-2011
- CAREER:Efficient Geometric Techniques for Problems Arising in Cardiovascular Intervention Procedures, NSF, CCF-0546509, Role: PI, 2005-2011
- Reconstructing CT Images from a Limited Number of Projections, UB IRDF, Role: PI (co-PIs: Jason Corso, Kenneth R. Hoffmann), 2008-2009
- Geometric Techniques for Determining the Dynamics of Genomic Organization and Function in Mammalian Cell Nucleus, UB IRCAF, Role: PI (co-PI: Ronald Berezney), 2004-2005
- On-line 3D Vasculature from Biplane Angiograms, NIH R01HL52567, Role: co-PI (PI: Kenneth R. Hoffmann), 2003-2007
- Topology-Preserving Layout Optimization, NYSTAR, Role: PI, 2002-2003
- Topology-Preserving Layout Optimization, IBM Faculty Partnership Award, Role: PI, 2001-2002
Some Selected Publications
- "Finding Global Optimum for Truth Discovery: Entropy Based Geometric Variance," with H. Ding and J. Gao. Proc. 32nd International Symposium on Computational Geometry (SoCG 2016) , pp.34:1-34-16, June 14-18, 2016, Boston, USA
- "Clustering-Based Collaborative Filtering for Link Prediction," with X. Wang, D. He, and D. Chen. Proc. 29th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2015).pp.332-338, January 25-29,2015, Austin, Texas, USA.
- "Random Gradient Descent Tree: A Combinatorial Approach for SVM with Outliers," with H. Ding. Proc. 29th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2015).pp. 2561-2567, January 25-29, 2015
, Austin, Texas, USA.
- "A Unified Framework for Clustering Constrained Data without Locality Property," with H. Ding. Proc. ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA 2015).pp. 1471-1490, January 4-6,2015, San Diego, California, USA.
- "Finding Median Point-Set Using Earth Mover's Distance," with H. Ding. Proc. 28th AAAI conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2014).pp.1781-1787, July 27-31,2014, Quebec City, Quebec, Canada.
- "On the Connectivity Preserving Minimum Cut Problem," with Q. Duan. Journal of Computer and System Sciences. 80(4):837-848,2014.
- "Sub-linear Time Hybrid Approximations for Least Trimmed Squares Estimator and Related Problems," with H. Ding. Proc. 30th ACM Annual Symposium on Computational Geometry (SoCG 2014) , pp.110-119, June 8-11, 2014, Kyoto, Japan
- "k-Prototype Learning for 3D Rigid Structures," with H. Ding, and R. Berezney. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS 2013), pp. 2589-2597, December 5-8, 2013, Lake Tahoe, Nevada, USA
- "On Clustering Induced Voronoi Diagrams," with D.Z. Chen, Z. Huang, and Y. Liu. Proc. 54th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (FOCS 2013), pp. 390-399, October 27 – 29, 2013, Berkeley, California, USA
- "FPTAS for Minimizing Earth Mover’s Distance under Rigid Transformations," with H. Ding. Proc. 21st European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA 2013), pp. 397-408, Sept. 2-4, Sophia Antipolis, France
- "Gauging Association Patterns of Chromosome Territories via Chromatic Median," with H. Ding, B. Stojkovic, and R. Berezney. Proc. 2013 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 2013), Oral Presentation, pp. 1296-1303, June 25-27, 2013, Portland, Oregon, USA
- "Computing the Map of Geometric Minimal Cuts," with L. Xu, E. Papadopoulou. Algorithmica 68(4):805-834, 2014.
- "Solving the Chromatic Cone Clustering Problem via Minimum Spanning Sphere," with H. Ding, Proc. 38th International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming (ICALP’11), LNCS 6755, pp. 773-784, July 4-8, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
- "Efficient Algorithms for Segmenting Globally Optimal and Smooth Multi-Surfaces," with L. Xu, B. Stojkovic, Y. Zhu, Q. Song, X. Wu, and M. Sonka. Proc. 22nd biennial International Conference on Information Processing in Medical Imaging (IPMI ’11), LNCS 6801, pp. 208-220, Monastery Irsee, Germany, July 3-8, 2011
- "A Geometric Spanner of Segments," with Y. Yang, Y. Zhu, and N. Katoh. International Journal of Computational Geometry and Applications, 20(1): 43-67, 2010
- "Improved Approximation Algorithms for Maximum Resource Bin Packing and Lazy Bin Covering Problems," with M. Lin, and Y. Yang. Algorithmica, 57(2):232-251, 2010
- "Ensemble Clustering Using Semidefinite Programming with Applications," with V. Singh, L. Mukherjee, and J. Peng. Machine Learning, 79(1-2):177-200, 2010
- “Maximizing Throughput for Optical Burst Switching Networks,” with J. Li, C. Qiao, and D. Xu. IEEE/ACM Transaction on Networking, 15(5):1163-1176, 2007
- "Efficient Algorithm for Approximating Maximum Inscribed Sphere in High Dimensional Polytope," with Y. Xie and J. Snoeyink, Proc 22nd ACM Annual Symposium on Computational Geometry (SoCG'06), June 5-7, 2006, Sedona, Arizona, USA.
- "Efficient Burst Scheduling Algorithms in Optical Burst Switched Networks Using Geometric Techniques," with C. Qiao, J. Li, and G. Xu, Journal of Selected Areas in Communications, 22(9):1796-1811, 2004
- "Traveling Salesman Problem of Segments," with Z. Lin, and Y. Yang. International Journal of Computational Geometry and Applications, 14(1-2):19-40, 2004
- "Finding an Optimal Path without Growing the Tree," with D.Z. Chen, O. Daescu, and X. Hu. Journal of Algorithms, 49(1): 13-41, 2003
- “Topological Peeling and Applications,” with D.Z. Chen and S. Luan, International Journal of Computational Geometry and Applications, 13(2) 135-172, 2003.
- "Algorithms for Congruent Sphere Packing and Applications," with D.Z. Chen,X. Hu,Y. Huang, and Y. Li, Proc. 17th Annual ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry (SoCG), 2001, page 212-221.
- "Geometric Permutations of High Dimensional Spheres," with Y. Huang and D.Z. Chen, Proc. 12th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA) , Washington DC, Jan. 7-9, 2001, page 244-245.
- "Optimal Beam Penetration in Two and Three Dimensions," with D.Z. Chen and X. Hu, LNCS, Vol. 1969, Springer Verlag, Proc. 11th Annual International Symposium on Algorithms And Computation (ISAAC'00), Dec., 2000, Taiwan, page 491-502.
- "Shortest Path Queries in Planar Graphs," with D. Z. Chen, Proc. 32nd ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC) , page 469-478, 2000.
- "Optimizing the Sum of Linear Fractional Functions and Applications", with D.Z. Chen, O. Daescu, Y. Dai, N. Katoh and X. Wu, Proc. Eleventh Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA) , page 707-716, 2000.
- "Determining an Optimal Penetration among Weighted Regions in Two and Three Dimensions," with D.Z. Chen , O. Daescu and X. Hu and X. Wu, Proc. 15th Annual ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry (SoCG), page 322-331, 1999.
- "Finding an Optimal Path without Growing the Tree," with D.Z. Chen , O. Daescu and X. Hu, Proc. of the Sixth Annual European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA), Venice, Italy, August, 1998, page 356--367.
- "Two-Variable Linear Programming in Parallel," with D.Z. Chen, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol.1432, Springer Verlag,Proc. of 6th Scandinavian Workshop on Algorithm and Theory (SWAT) , Stockholm, Sweden, July, 1998, page 169-180.
Former PhD Students
- Guang Xu, 2006 (currently with Google Corp.)
- Zhenming Chen, 2007 (Presidential Fellowship, First Employment: Bloomberg Corp.)
- Mingen Lin, 2007 (First Employment: Bloomberg Corp.)
- Vikas Singh, 2007 (Dissertation Nominated for ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award by SUNY Buffalo; First Employment: Tenure-track Assistant Professor, Department of Biostatistics and Medical Informatics, University of Wisconsin-Madison; Now a tenured Associate Professor there; NSF CAREER Award Winner)
- Yulai Xie, 2008
- Lopamudra Mukherjee, 2008 (First Employment: Tenure-Track Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater; Now a Tenured Associate Professor)
- Yang Yang, 2008 (Frst Employment: Microsoft Corp.)
- Peter Noel, 2009 (First Employment: Assistant Professor, Department of Radiology, Technical University, Munich, Germany; Winner (2nd place) of the 2009 Behnken Berger Award, Germany)
- Yongding Zhu, 2011 (First Employment: Algorithmic scientist in KLA-Tencor Corp.; currently with Google Corp.)
- Lei Xu, 2012 (Dean's Fellowship; First Employment: Qualcom Corp.)
- Branislav Stojkovic, 2012 (First Employment: Xbox Microsoft Corp.; Currently with Facebook Corp.)
- Hu Ding, 2015 (Winner of the 2015 UB CSE Best Doctoral Dissertation Award; Dissertation Nominated for ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award by SUNY Buffalo; Awarded the Simons-Berkeley/Tsinghua research fellowship, 2015-2016; First Employment: Tenure-Track Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Michigan State University)
Current PhD Students
- Xiangyu Wang
- Ziyun Huang (Winner of the Best CSE Graduate Research Award, 2015)
- Yangwei Liu (Best Student Paper Award, ICPR'16)
- Zihe Chen
- Danyang Chen
- Di Wang
- Zheshuo Li
- Minwei Ye (co-supervising with Prof. Shi Li)
- Jiayi Xian (co-supervising with Prof. Shi Li)