University at Buffalo (SUNY)
Dept. of Comp. Sci. and Eng.
- Algorithms (including Approximation Algorithms)
- Computational Geometry
- Machine Learning and Computer Vision
- Differential Privacy
- Geometric Computing and Optimization in
- Medical Imaging, Treatment Planning, and Diagnosis
- Networking and Mobile Computing
Some Recent Research Projects
- Modern Privacy-preserving Learning Algorithms for Biomedical Data, CRG KAUST, Role: PI (UB), 2022-2025.
- Novel Geometric Algorithms for Learning from Big Biomedical Data, NSF, IIS-1910492, Role: PI (co-PI Mingchen Gao), 2019-2022
- Novel Geometric Techniques for Several Biomedical Problems, NSF, CCF-1716400, Role: PI, 2017-2020
- EAGER:Cybermanufacturing: Software/Hardware Combined Acceleration for 3D Printing in Mass Customization, NSF, CNS-1547167, Role: Co-PI (PI: Wenyao Xu and Co-PI: Chi Zhou), 2015-2017
- Virtual Intervention of Intracranial Aneurysms, NIH, 1R01NS091075, Role: co-PI (PI: Hui Meng), 2015-2020
- Algorithmic Techniques for Several Geometric Problems Arising in Biomedical Imaging Applications, NSF, CCF-1422324, Role: PI, 2014-2017
- Algorithmic Techniques for Determining Alterations in the Patterns of Chromosome Spatial Organization inside the Cell Nucleus, NSF, IIS-1422591, Role: PI (co-PI: Ronald Berezney), 2014-2017
- Algorithmic Tools for Spatial Positioning Studies in the Cell Nucleus, NSF, IIS-1115220, Role: PI (co-PI: Ronald Berezney), 2011-2015
- Algorithmic Tools for Determining the Organization and Dynamics of the Cell Nucleus, NSF, IIS-0713489, Role: PI (co-PI: Ronald Berezney), 2007-2011
- CAREER:Efficient Geometric Techniques for Problems Arising in Cardiovascular Intervention Procedures, NSF, CCF-0546509, Role: PI, 2005-2011
- On-line 3D Vasculature from Biplane Angiograms, NIH R01HL52567, Role: co-PI (PI: Kenneth R. Hoffmann), 2003-2007
Some Selected Publications
- "In-Range Farthest Point Queries and Related Problem in High Dimensions," with Z. Huang. 49th International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming (ICALP 2022), Accepted.
- "On Sparse Linear Regression in the Local Differential Privacy Model," with D. Wang. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, Vol. 67, no. 2, pp. 1182-1200, 2021.
- "PTAS for Minimum Cost Multi-covering with Disks," with Z. Huang, Q. Feng, and J. Wang. ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms 2021 (SODA 2021), pp. 840-859, January 10-13, 2021, virtual conference.
- "Empirical Risk Minimization in the Non-interactive Local Model of Differential Privacy," with D. Wang, M. Gaboardi, and A. Smith. Journal of Machine Learning Research, 21:200:1-200:39, 2020.
- "Learning Manifold Implicitly via Explicit Heat-kernel Learning," with Y. Zhou and C. Chen. The 34th Annual Conference on Advances in Neural Information Proocessing Systems (NeurIPS 2020), Accepted.
- "Approximating Global Optimum for Probabilistic Truth Discovery," with S. Li and M. Ye. Algorithmica, 82(10):3091-3116, 2020. (Best Paper Award, COCOON'18)
- "On Differentially Private Stochastic Cnvex Optimization with Heavy-tailed Data," with D. Wang, H. Xiao, and S. Devadas. 37th International Conference oon Machine Learning (ICML 2020), July 12-18, 2020. Accepted.
- "An Efficient Sum Query Algorithm for Distance-Based Locally Dominating Functions," with Z. Huang. Algorithmica, 82:2415-2431, 2020.
- "Learning the Truth Vector in High Dimensions," with H. Ding. Journal of Computer and System Sciences, 109:78-94, 2020.
- "Faster Algorithm for Truth Discovery via Range Cover," with Z. Huang and H. Ding. Algorithmica, Vol.81, No. 10, pp.4118-4133, 2019.
- "On Sparse Linear Regression in the Local Differential Privacy Model," with D. Wang. Proc. 36th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 2019), June 10-15, 2019, Long Beach, CA, USA.
- "Differentially Private Empirical Risk Minimization with Non-convex Loss Functions," with D. Wang and C. Chen. Proc. 36th International Conference on Machine Learning (ICML 2019), June 10-15, 2019, Long Beach, CA, USA.
- "Empirical Risk Minimization in Non-interactive Local Differential Privacy Revisited," with D. Wang and M. Gaboardi. Proc. 32nd Annual Conference on Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NeurIPS 2018), pp. 973-982, Dec. 3-8, 2018, Montreal, Canada.
- "Differentially Private Empirical Risk Minimization Revisited: Faster and More General," with D. Wang and M. Ye. Proc. 31st Annual Conference on Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS 2017) pp.2719-2728, Dec. 4-9, 2017, Long Beach, CA, USA
- "Finding Global Optimum for Truth Discovery: Entropy Based Geometric Variance," with H. Ding and J. Gao. Proc. 32nd International Symposium on Computational Geometry (SoCG 2016) , pp.34:1-34-16, June 14-18, 2016, Boston, USA
- "A Unified Framework for Clustering Constrained Data without Locality Property," with H. Ding. Proc. ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA 2015).pp. 1471-1490, January 4-6,2015, San Diego, California, USA.
- "On the Connectivity Preserving Minimum Cut Problem," with Q. Duan. Journal of Computer and System Sciences. 80(4):837-848,2014.
- "Sub-linear Time Hybrid Approximations for Least Trimmed Squares Estimator and Related Problems," with H. Ding. Proc. 30th ACM Annual Symposium on Computational Geometry (SoCG 2014) , pp.110-119, June 8-11, 2014, Kyoto, Japan
- "k-Prototype Learning for 3D Rigid Structures," with H. Ding, and R. Berezney. Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems (NIPS 2013), pp. 2589-2597, December 5-8, 2013, Lake Tahoe, Nevada, USA
- "On Clustering Induced Voronoi Diagrams," with D.Z. Chen, Z. Huang, and Y. Liu. Proc. 54th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (FOCS 2013), pp. 390-399, October 27 – 29, 2013, Berkeley, California, USA
- "FPTAS for Minimizing Earth Mover’s Distance under Rigid Transformations," with H. Ding. Proc. 21st European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA 2013), pp. 397-408, Sept. 2-4, Sophia Antipolis, France
- "Gauging Association Patterns of Chromosome Territories via Chromatic Median," with H. Ding, B. Stojkovic, and R. Berezney. Proc. 2013 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR 2013), Oral Presentation, pp. 1296-1303, June 25-27, 2013, Portland, Oregon, USA
- "Computing the Map of Geometric Minimal Cuts," with L. Xu, E. Papadopoulou. Algorithmica 68(4):805-834, 2014.
- "Solving the Chromatic Cone Clustering Problem via Minimum Spanning Sphere," with H. Ding, Proc. 38th International Colloquium on Automata, Languages and Programming (ICALP’11), LNCS 6755, pp. 773-784, July 4-8, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
- "Efficient Algorithms for Segmenting Globally Optimal and Smooth Multi-Surfaces," with L. Xu, B. Stojkovic, Y. Zhu, Q. Song, X. Wu, and M. Sonka. Proc. 22nd biennial International Conference on Information Processing in Medical Imaging (IPMI ’11), LNCS 6801, pp. 208-220, Monastery Irsee, Germany, July 3-8, 2011
- "Improved Approximation Algorithms for Maximum Resource Bin Packing and Lazy Bin Covering Problems," with M. Lin, and Y. Yang. Algorithmica, 57(2):232-251, 2010
- "Ensemble Clustering Using Semidefinite Programming with Applications," with V. Singh, L. Mukherjee, and J. Peng. Machine Learning, 79(1-2):177-200, 2010
- “Maximizing Throughput for Optical Burst Switching Networks,” with J. Li, C. Qiao, and D. Xu. IEEE/ACM Transaction on Networking, 15(5):1163-1176, 2007
- "Efficient Algorithm for Approximating Maximum Inscribed Sphere in High Dimensional Polytope," with Y. Xie and J. Snoeyink, Proc 22nd ACM Annual Symposium on Computational Geometry (SoCG'06), June 5-7, 2006, Sedona, Arizona, USA.
- "Efficient Burst Scheduling Algorithms in Optical Burst Switched Networks Using Geometric Techniques," with C. Qiao, J. Li, and G. Xu, Journal of Selected Areas in Communications, 22(9):1796-1811, 2004
- "Traveling Salesman Problem of Segments," with Z. Lin, and Y. Yang. International Journal of Computational Geometry and Applications, 14(1-2):19-40, 2004
- "Finding an Optimal Path without Growing the Tree," with D.Z. Chen, O. Daescu, and X. Hu. Journal of Algorithms, 49(1): 13-41, 2003
- "Algorithms for Congruent Sphere Packing and Applications," with D.Z. Chen,X. Hu,Y. Huang, and Y. Li, Proc. 17th Annual ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry (SoCG), 2001, page 212-221.
- "Geometric Permutations of High Dimensional Spheres," with Y. Huang and D.Z. Chen, Proc. 12th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA) , Washington DC, Jan. 7-9, 2001, page 244-245.
- "Shortest Path Queries in Planar Graphs," with D. Z. Chen, Proc. 32nd ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC) , page 469-478, 2000.
- "Optimizing the Sum of Linear Fractional Functions and Applications", with D.Z. Chen, O. Daescu, Y. Dai, N. Katoh and X. Wu, Proc. Eleventh Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA) , page 707-716, 2000.
- "Determining an Optimal Penetration among Weighted Regions in Two and Three Dimensions," with D.Z. Chen , O. Daescu and X. Hu and X. Wu, Proc. 15th Annual ACM Symposium on Computational Geometry (SoCG), page 322-331, 1999.
- "Finding an Optimal Path without Growing the Tree," with D.Z. Chen , O. Daescu and X. Hu, Proc. of the Sixth Annual European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA), Venice, Italy, August, 1998, page 356--367.
Former PhD Students
- Guang Xu, 2006 (currently with Google Corp.)
- Zhenming Chen, 2007 (Presidential Fellowship, First Employment: Bloomberg Corp.)
- Mingen Lin, 2007 (First Employment: Bloomberg Corp.)
- Vikas Singh, 2007 (UB CSE Best Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2007; Dissertation Nominated for ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award by SUNY Buffalo; First Employment: Tenure-track Assistant Professor, Department of Biostatistics and Medical Informatics, University of Wisconsin-Madison; Now a tenured full Professor there; NSF CAREER Award Winner)
- Yulai Xie, 2008
- Lopamudra Mukherjee, 2008 (First Employment: Tenure-Track Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Whitewater; Now a Tenured Associate Professor)
- Yang Yang, 2008 (Frst Employment: Microsoft Corp.)
- Peter Noel, 2009 (First Employment: Assistant Professor, Department of Radiology, Technical University, Munich, Germany; Winner (2nd place) of the 2009 Behnken Berger Award, Germany; Now a tenure-track Assistant Professor at the Department of Radiology, Perelman School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania)
- Yongding Zhu, 2011 (First Employment: Algorithmic scientist in KLA-Tencor Corp.; currently with Alibaba Corp.)
- Lei Xu, 2012 (Dean's Fellowship; First Employment: Qualcom Corp.; Currently Founder and CEO of NullMax Tech. Corp.)
- Branislav Stojkovic, 2012 (First Employment: Xbox Microsoft Corp.; Currently with Facebook Corp.)
- Hu Ding, 2015 (UB CSE Best Doctoral Dissertation Award, 2015; Dissertation Nominated for ACM Doctoral Dissertation Award by SUNY Buffalo; Awarded the Simons-Berkeley/Tsinghua research fellowship, 2015-2016; First Employment: Tenure-Track Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Michigan State University; Now a full Professor at the School of Computer Science and Technology, University of Science and Technology of China)
- Yangwei Liu, 2018 (Best student paper award, ICPR'16, Dean's Fellowship 2011; First Employment: Machine Learning Engineer, Mark Logic Corp. )
- Ziyun Huang, 2018 (Winner of the Best CSE Graduate Research Award in 2015; First Employment: Tenure-Track Assistant Professor, Computer Science and Software Engineering Department, Penn State University, Behrend)
- Xiangyu Wang, 2018 (First Employment: Financial Data Analyst, Tencent Corp.)
- Danyang Chen, 2018 (Dean's Fellowship 2012; First Employment: Assistant Professor, School of Computer, Electronics, and Informatics, Guangxi University, China)
- Zihe Chen, 2018 (First Employment: Machine Learning Engineer, Facebook Corp.)
- Di Wang, 2020 (UB CSE Best Dissertation Award, 2019, UB CSE Best Graduate Research Award, 2018, UB SEAS Graduate Achievement Award, 2019; First Employment: Assistant Professor, Division of Computer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST))
Current PhD Students
- Zheshuo Li
- Yufan Zhou (co-supervising with Prof. Changyou Chen)
- Minghua Wang
- Chunwei Ma (co-supervising with Prof. Mingchen Gao)
- Mingxi Lei
- Meng Ding
- Davoud Moradi