Test of Time Award
• Tapas Kanungo, David M. Mount, Nathan S. Netanyahu, Christine D. Piatko, Ruth Silverman, Angela Y. Wu. The analysis of a simple k-means clustering algorithm. Symposium on Computational Geometry, 2000, 100-109
• L. Paul Chew. Constrained Delaunay Triangulations. Symposium on Computational Geometry, 1987, 215-22
The SoCG Test of Time Award, instated last year, recognizes papers published at the Proceedings of the Annual Symposium on Computational Geometry (SoCG). An award will be given to a paper published in SoCG no later than 2001. More than one paper may be selected for the award.
Anyone in the computational geometry community may nominate a paper. To do so, please submit the nomination by either filling this form or sending your nomination via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line of SoCG Test of Time Award. The nomination should contain a brief explanation of the impact of the nominated paper(s). The deadline for submitting the nomination is January 15, 2021. Click here for the contents of all the SoCG proceedings (dblp).
SelectionThe winners are selected by a committee appointed by the SoCG steering committee and for 2021 it consists of
- • Pankaj K. Agarwal, Duke University, USA
- • Dan Halperin, Tel Aviv University, Israel
- • and Raimund Seidel, Saarland University, Germany
In selecting the Test of Time Award, the committee will pay particular attention to long term impact. This impact can come in many forms and some possibilities are to: (i) open up a new area of research; (ii) introduce new techniques; (iii) solve a problem of lasting importance. If the committee finds that circumstances justify this, it may select more than one paper for the award. The committee may select papers other than those that are nominated. The selection will be announced by February 28, 2021.
About the Award
This is the second SoCG Test of Time Award and it will be an annual award; the winners of the first award can be found here. The 2021 award winners will be presented at CG Week 2021, to be held online, June 7-11, 2021.