Siwei Lyu is a SUNY Empire Innovation Professor at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering,
the Director of UB Media Forensic Lab (UB MDFL), and the founding Co-Director of the Center for Information Integrity (CII) of
the University at Buffalo, State University of New York.
Before joining UB, Dr. Lyu was an Assistant Professor from 2008 to 2014, a tenured Associate Professor from 2014 to 2019, and a Full Professor from 2019 to 2020 at the Department of Computer Science, University at Albany, State University of New York.
He is the Founding Director of UAlbany's Computer Vision and Machine Learning Lab (CVML).
From 2005 to 2008, he was a Post-Doctoral Research Associate at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and
the Center for Neural Science of New York University. He was an Assistant Researcher at Microsoft Research
Asia (then Microsoft Research China) in 2001. Dr. Lyu received his Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from Dartmouth College in 2005,
his M.S. degree in Computer Science in 2000, and his B.S. degree in Information Science in 1997, both from Peking University, China.
Dr. Lyu's research interests include digital media forensics,
computer vision, and machine learning.
Dr. Lyu has published over 180 refereed journal and conference papers.
Dr. Lyu's research projects are funded by NSF, DARPA, and the US Department of Homeland Security.
He is the recipient of the IEEE Signal Processing Society
Best Paper Award (2011),
the National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2010),
SUNY Albany's Presidential Award for Excellence in Research and Creative Activities (2017), SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Research and Creative Activities (2018),
Google Faculty Research Award (2019), and IEEE Region 1 Technological Innovation (Academic) Award (2021).
Dr. Lyu served on the IEEE Signal Processing Society's Information Forensics and Security Technical Committee and was on the Editorial Board of IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Journal of Pattern Recognition, IEEE Transaction of Multimedia, and International Journal of Machine Intelligence Research.
Dr. Lyu is a Fellow of IEEE and IAPR, a Senior Member of ACM, a Senior Member of the Sigma Xi Society, and a Member of the Omicron Delta Kappa society.
- (06/23/2022) I am honored and humbled to be elavated to the IAPR Fellow of Class 2022.
- (05/24/2022) Receiving my IEEE Fellow pin at the 2022 ICASSP Conference from IEEE Signal Processing Society President.
- (05/09/2022) I sat down with Rachel and Eric at the ForcePoint Cybersecurity Podcast to talk about DeepFakes and the future [Link].
- (05/06/2022) Lipeng Ke has successfully defended his thesis. Congratulations, Dr. Ke! Lipeng will take position at Amazon.
- (04/26/2022) I was interviewed by MSNBC News on a recent DeepFake case [Link]
and TheStreet.com [Link].
- (04/23/2022) Shu Hu has successfully defended his thesis. Congratulations, Dr. Hu! Shu will take a post-doc position at Carneige Mellon University.
- (04/14/2022) I had a good conversation with Kerry Tomlinson of Ampere News about DeepFakes [Part 1] and
[YouTube Video -- Part 1], and [Part 2] and [YouTube Video -- Part 2]
- (04/04/2022) Our paper on "Sum of Ranked Range Loss for Supervised Learning" is accepted by Journal of Machine Learning Research [JMLR22].
- (03/15/2022) Our work on DeepFake detection has a particular timely meaning: see the recent reports on our work [Report1] and [Report2].
- (02/17/2022) I was invited to give a talk at Bug.out [Video Link].
- (02/07/2022) Our work on "Combating AI-Synthesized Media beyond Detection" has been funded by NSF SaTC
[NSF Project Page].
- (01/29/2022) I am appointed as an Associate Editor for the IEEE Transactions on Multimedia.
- (01/21/2022) We have three papers accepted to ICASSP 2022 [ICASSP22a][ICASSP22b][ICASSP22c]!
- (12/01/2022) We have two papers accepted to AAAI 2022 [AAAI22a][AAAI22b]!
- (11/23/2021) I am honored and humbled to be elavated to the IEEE Fellow of Class 2022 [Link]. I would like to thank my students, post-docs, colleagues, collaborators, and friends for their support!
- (10/15/2021) UB estabhlishes the Center for Information Integrity (CII) to promote multi-disciplinary research in the area of mis/disinformation. I will serve as the founding Co-Director along with Prof. David Castillo of the Roman Language Department.
- (10/02/2021) I am the receipient of the IEEE Region 1 (Northeastern US) Technological Innovation (Academic) Award for contributions in technologies that counter DeepFakes.
- (09/23/2021) The NSF Convergence Accelerator Phase 1 Project with me as the Principal Investigator has been awarded by the National Science Foundation, more details see the UB News Release. [Link]
- (09/01/2021) Our lab continues to grow. Dr. Shan Jia will join my lab as a new post-doc, and Mingzhen Huang joins my lab as a Ph.D. student.